Thursday 21 May 2009

Dea-scovering Kids' Museums - by Dea Birkett

So - we're not on our way to Rome (yet), although the guidebooks are still spread over my desk and the draft schedule written. But in the meantime, I've noticed there are plans for a Children's Museum in London, as part of the King's Cross redevelopment. It made me think whether a museum specifically for children is really what we want. I know some families enjoy them (see Rhonda's article on Eureka! in Halifax, the people behind the new London venture), but personally I prefer to chat to my kids in front of a really interesting object, rather than watch them push buttons and pull levers while I finger the crayons and play with the pipe cleaners, just a little bit bored.

I have enjoyed museums aimed specifically at children. Despite its terrifying title, the Tinderbox Cultural House for Children in Odense, birthplace of Hans Christian Anderson, was huge fun. Seven-year-old Savanna dressed up as characters from her favourite fairy tales and lay on a pile of mattresses, until she could feel the pea like a real life princess. (And I've written about the museum's fabulous cafe in an Eating with Kids column.) But, if I'm honest, I think I enjoyed it because I just had one child with me, not the usual three. It was a special time for the two of us, when I, too, could become childish. When Savanna's twin brother and older sister are with us, the division between grown ups and kids is far more apparent, and we split into age camps. They play together; I watch.

I'd be worried that's what would happen if we all went together to a Children's Museum. And that if the boyfriend came too, the divisions between different generations would be even wider. I can't imagine getting him to dress up as anything. And the only thing he's ever made from pipe cleaners is something to unblock a hose on the hoover.

I haven't yet visited any of Americas many Children's Museums - which is where the children's museum movement started. If you have, let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. thanks dea. as usual, lots of food for thought.

    in many ways you are right. as your own kids in museums campaign highlights, any museum can be child or family friendly if it takes the right attitude towards younger visitors.

    eureka, as i say in my piece, was somehwat overwhelming - not just because it was half term and crowded, but because there was just too much for children to do. too much colour, noise, levers, pulleys, etc. the kids got frazzled pretty quickly - overstimulation, i think!

    i prefer more general places such as the science or natural history museums that have small areas for dedicated age groups, from toddlers to teens. things like the pattern pod at the science museum. those can be really useful to help your kids get to grips with the rest of the exhibition.

    i haven't personally been to any dedicated kids' museums in the states, but in london i think discovery in stratford works quite well for younger kids. it's on a smaller scale to eureka. still, any addition to london attractions for kids is a good thing, i suppose. it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Post your comments here...