Friday 31 July 2009

Putting the Fun Back into Holidays - by Dea Birkett

What are family holidays for? I thought they were to laze about in each other's company, not doing much, enjoying a new place, feeling a different climate on your skin. I like just lying on a foreign couch, one twin either side of me, breathing in an air that's warmer, thicker, stickier than at home. Often, I need no more than this. It's a rare treat to be able to idle with the kids, away from all our rigid school and work timetables. And it's incredibly good for us, in a deep family sort of way. I know it sounds corny, but we do bond more when we aren't consumed by the petty patterns of domesticity. When all we have to do is wake, eat and chat.


But increasingly I'm being told that we can't do this on a family holiday. A holiday has to be not only enjoyable, but educational. We all have to learn something. I can't tell my friends I'm going away with the kids to relax or, as my teenager says, chillax. I have to declare I'm going to improve their French, introduce them to Ancient Greece, or make them aware of the ecological issues facing African peoples. And I thought we were going away to be together, all floppy and free of daily demands.


I don't think the real problem is the holiday element. It's the parenting element. It's practically impossible to simply hang out with your kids anymore. You're expected to be Doing Something, and usually Something Meaningful. We're not allowed just to be mum or dad, we have to be our children's teacher, too. Parenting is now seen as a pedagogic mission.


And because we're told - incorrectly - that we're spending less and less time with our children, the extended time we do spend with them on holiday becomes a victim of these educational pressures. More and more family holidays are being packaged as times for learning, not lounging. I think I'm going to found my own holiday company, to cash in on this trend. I'll call it Curriculum Tours (if such a company doesn't exist already, which it probably does). Or perhaps, more accurately, Guilt Trips.


When Tony Blair listed his priorities as 'Education, education, education', I think he meant at home, not on holiday. Let's put the fun back in family holidays. There's nothing wrong with doing nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more. Doing nothing often means you learn more, anyway...

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Post your comments here...